Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Can't Spell Live Without Evil

"Live" started out in year six ( to my best recollection ) as a reiteration of a previous game, known as RPG. It started one day, when I was really, really bored. You know, as usual. Anyway, the game is basically completely done through speech. No pen and paper crap, and almost no rules. Which was fun for a while ( I guess because I enjoyed randomly killing players and making it stupidly easy for one to succeed and nigh impossible for the other ).

The goal of RPG was almost always to escape from somewhere. It was a puzzle game, where you had to think your way out, and if you didn't do it the way I intended ( because I was the game master, ruler of ALL ) then you would die. Wee. From there it turned into "President Evil" an expansion of that idea. I have absolutely no idea what that was about. I even forgot it existed until Brandon reminded me about it.

But nevermind that. From there it turned into Live. Every player has a starting point, and everyone has the same goal in order to win - you must destroy the world, and at the same time ensure you are the sole survivor. You know, just like real life. But the best part of the game is you can do anything, if you can turn it into words and vomit it out, you can do it in-game, if you beat me enough in scissors-paper-stone.

In abscence of dice, what else could we have done? The rules ( the only rules ) are like this: if you want to do something easy ( like eat a cake ) you might have to win once, or not at all. If you want to do something harder ( like eat a live human being ) you might have to win two or three times, depending on how experienced you are in the field of cannibalism. Live has been a catalyst for madness ( like bribery for a stupid game ) and insanity.

Some of my best ( and wrongest ) memories of year six were spent playing Live. The reason I'm posting this is because I've recently started playing again and it's every bit as fun, every bit as wrong as before. This may sound a little braggy, but I've yet to find someone who's played the game and genuinely hated it. If you have, I'll slap myself. If you lie about it, then I'll slap you. To death.

P.S. Hasbro, please don't sue me.

No comments: