Monday, August 11, 2008

A "Party"

I'm having a birthday "party" on the 16th of August, Saturday. The word "party" is in inverted commas because I have a strange feeling that it's going to be a complete and utter disaster. You'll be pleased to know that if I haven't already invited you, you don't need to come.

My feeling that this is going to suck started last year, during the end of year holidays. Brandon and I, bored as we were, decided to throw a random get-together at 1 Utama to watch a movie. Brandon ended up inviting around eight people, seven of which confirmed they were coming.

On the day immediately before, two or three of them canceled; which I thought wasn't too bad, I mean, we've still got four left, right? Wrong. On the morning right before we left, three more cancelled. So I guess it'll be me, Brandon and that one other person...

Wrong again. We went to the meeting location, and when she didn't show up for fifteen minutes, Brandon decided to give her a call. It was however, bloody freaking loud in there, so the call was reduced to a series of "huh?"s before finally hanging up. He called again. Same story.

He handed over the phone to me, and after twenty or thirty more "huh?"s, I discovered that she was still sleeping. I'd call that a pretty bad outcome. Every single person who had confirmed coming had subsequently canceled, and thus, made for a pretty lonely movie. I can only hope this turns out better.

P.S. No, Saturday is not my actual birthday, and no, I'm not telling you what it is.

No comments: