Monday, February 23, 2009

Slumdogs, Love Stories and Exams

Having recently watched Slumdog Millionaire, I feel an inclination to tell you about it. For those of you who don't know, it's a film about an Indian "slumdog" who enters a quiz show, wins 20,000,000 rupees and how events in his extraordinarily appalling life provide the answers for each of the questions. It also was the show that ate the Oscars, winning eight out of the ten Academy Awards which it was nominated for. Which means like, you should watch it. I was actually going to watch Valkyrie that day, but I guess I'll have to save that for later.

Next, I've heard the song Love Story, the song that Shaun has so prominently posted on his blog, five days in a row now. Hmmm. I don't even listen to the radio that much, the only time being when I'm in a car. One thing I fing funny about it though, is that, for those of you who don't know, Romeo and Juliet both commited suicide. One hell of a love story. Just sayin'. Anyway, it's stuck in my head now, and I'll keep bashing it until it flies out.

Lastly are the exams in all their hideous glory. I remember a time ( Australia ) when school wasn't solely about exams, that instead of exams being at the centre, and the studying being there to help with them; the learning was at the centre, and exams were almost non-existent, only ever there to simply test your current mastery of a certain subject. Instead of say, madly forcing you to get a frankly ridiculous string of "A"s ( the average score of any sane exam is meant to be a "C" or a "D" anyway ). Another thing that goes hand-in-hand with the exams is my English oral test, which I have seen a rather large portion of my class do appalingly bad. Wish me luck!

No comments: