Thursday, February 26, 2009

Missing the Good Old Days

I recently gave a ( not half bad ) oral presentation in front of my class about Australia, or more specifically, my four years of experience in the aforementioned country. Anyone who knows me at all will know that I went to Australia ( an awesome country, by the way ). If you don't, then get off my blog you weirdo. Half the time there I talked about the school system in Australia. It really is true that you never know what you've got until it's gone; I hated school ( who doesn't? ) in Australia, and I thought that it was bad until I got back to Malaysia and realized just how bad it could be.

And the answer is: very. Many of you won't know this, some of you will disagree, but that's because you haven't seen the light. You haven't seen how a proper, effective school system that doesn't have students killing themselves ( literally, I've read news articles about it ) over exam results is like. Well I have. And it works, a hell of a lot better than this. It may sound like I'm trying to criticize and point fingers here, and that's because that's exactly what I'm doing. It's hard not to think about Australia when I realize just how much I've left behind.

I almost left behind my entire life, save for my family. My school, my friends, my home, all the places I'd been, and the hopes of all the places I'd wanted to go. Man, this oral test has reminded me of what was, and what could've been. All my friends, most of whom I'm likely never to see again. I'm starting to regret leaving; although I didn't really have a choice. There isn't much I wouldn't give up to go back there, except my computer and my friends. Well, some of them, anyway.

No comments: